Safety Tips to Avoid a Home Fire During the Holidays
According to the National Fire Protection Association, more residential fires occur during the winter, during the holiday season, than any other time of the year. Take a look around your home during the holidays. You’ll notice lit candles, space heaters, a glowing Christmas tree, perhaps even a cozy fire in the fireplace. These are all potential fire hazards in your home. You owe it to yourself and your family to take precautions. We all want a safe, fun holiday season. Take action to ensure fire damage won’t ruin the celebration.
Fire Safety Tips
First of all, let’s begin with a few fire safety tips geared towards the holiday season, as now is the time of year we tend to break out the heating equipment and candles. To keep your home safe, consider the following:
- Candles – If you have lit candles in your home, keep them away from any items that may catch fire, such as curtains or tablecloths. Before leaving the room, consider blowing out the candles.
- Cooking – During the holidays, many of us get carried away in the kitchen. We cook turkey, ham, potatoes, cakes & cookies, and many side dishes, so there’s a lot going on. But unfortunately, cooking remains the number one cause of residential fires. While cooking, avoid billowing clothing or over-long sleeves, and definitely keep an eye on the stove at all times.
- Christmas Tree – If you opt for a genuine Christmas tree this year, remember that it needs to be watered once or twice per day. If you skip watering the tree will dry out, and with all the lights and nearby heaters, become a fire hazard.
- Fire Extinguishers – Every home should have a fire extinguisher on each level – including one in the kitchen. Be sure your fire extinguisher works properly, too.
- Space Heaters – It is already getting cold. For many, the drop in temperature means turning on the space heaters. Keep all heaters at least three feet from combustible objects. Unplug a heater when not in use.
We all like Christmas decorations, and many homeowners enjoy stringing up lights and even stationing an inflatable Santa Claus on the front lawn! If you are decorating this year, remember the proper safety protocols for doing so, including:
- Lighting – Practice electrical safety by tossing out worn electrical cords that may lead to fires. Be sure to double-check your string lights, power cords, and cables.
- Smoke Detectors – If you are decorating indoors, check every smoke detector in the house for proper operation. With strings of lights, candles, and other decorations, your home is going to feel warmer than usual, because it is.
This holiday season, should anything go wrong, know that you can fully rely on Restoration 1 of Mohave County for fire damage restoration. We have helped countless homeowners over the years recuperate after a residential fire caused by decorations, candles, and Christmas trees catching fire.
Give us a call at (928) 278-4108. We’ll send a certified team of restoration experts straight to your home to begin restoration efforts.